The winter season in Indian sees some unique traditional sweets that are nothing like the usual barfi and ladoo we eat all year. Til ka ladoo, peanut chikki, sweet rewari and more such dry sweets cum snacks come to the fore, especially during the festive season around Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal. Gur para is another sweet that is enjoyed during this time of the year as part of the festive treat. The simple snack made with fried flour paras, sweetened with jaggery syrup, is very easy to make.
Gur para is often used for traditional gifting of sweets during wedding ceremonies. It is the perfect home-made sweet you can make to keep yourself warm in this chilli weather and enjoy the festivities. Gur para is most commonly during the Makar Sankranti festival, and you can make it too, with this simple recipe video from YouTube channel 'Manjula's Kitchen'.
How To Make Gur Para:
You'll need 1 cup of maida, 2 tbsp sooji and 2bsp oil. For syrup, you'll need, 3/4 cup jaggery, 1tsp oil and 1/4 cup water.
1. Knead dough with all-purpose flour, sooji and oil. Gradually add water to knead a firm but smooth dough. Keep it aside for 15 mins.
2. Lightly knead the dough again and divide it into 2 parts. Then roll each part to make rotis of about 18 inch diameter. Then cut them to make small pieces.
3. Fry each para on medium heat till it sizzles and turns golden brown.
5. Let the pare come down to room temperature. Meanwhile, make the sweet syrup by boiling water and jaggery on low heat till all the jaggery is dissolved. Stir and cook for a while till it thickens. Turn off the gas.
6. Now, drop all the pare in the syrup and stir till all the paras are well coated. The pare will stick to each other so you'll have to separate them with fingers.
Your gur pare are ready.
Watch the complete recipe video of gur pare here:
Happy Makar Sankranti 2022!
About Neha GroverLove for reading roused her writing instincts. Neha is guilty of having a deep-set fixation with anything caffeinated. When she is not pouring out her nest of thoughts onto the screen, you can see her reading while sipping on coffee.