12 Amazing Cucumber Juice Benefits for Your Skin, Hair and Overall Health
Here are 12 cucumber juice benefits for your skin, hair and overall health. Cucumber juice is packed with nutrients and it encourages the proper functioning of your body.
NDTV Food | Updated: April 24, 2018 12:33 IST
Scroll down for 12 cucumber juice benefits.
Ever wanted to find a magical elixir that can improve your overall health and give you that glow you’ve always wanted? Presenting: Cucumber juice. Shilpa Arora (Health Practitioner, Nutritionist and certified Macrobiotic Health Coach) says, “Cucumber juice is packed with nutrients like Vitamin K, Vitamin C, magnesium, phosphorus, riboflavin, B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, iron, silica, calcium and zinc.” That’s perhaps why actress Liv Tyler swears by drinking cucumber juice to keep her skin flawless.
Here are 12 reasons you need to start drinking cucumber juice and reap the benefits:
1. Promotes Weight Loss: Dr. Anju Sood, a Bangalore-based Nutritionist says, “Cucumber juice is a powerhouse of antioxidants and hence boosts metabolism and results in weight loss.” Anshul Jaibharat adds, “It is low on calories - a great option for those watching their weight.”2. Hydrates Your Body: Shilpa Arora says, “Cucumber is made of up to 95% water and two compounds - ascorbic acid and caffeic acid - which prevent water retention. Due to its high water content, it boosts your body's hydration and flushes out toxins.”
3. Relieves Constipation: Dr. Sood says, “Cucumber juice is light on the bowel, acts like a natural laxative and can be a remedy for chronic constipation.”
4. Boosts Immunity: Dr. B. N. Sinha, Ayurvedic Expert says, “Cucumber juice provides the body with a whole slew of minerals, hormones and compounds which help in protecting your body from diseases. It is loaded with antioxidants and also protects you from seasonal infections such as viral.”
5. Detoxes Your Body: “Due to its high water content, cucumber juice cleanses the body by removing toxic and old waste materials. It makes for a powerful detox drink,” says Shilpa. You can also pair it with lemon and mint for better results.
6. Regulates Blood Pressure: “Cucumber juice encourages the proper functioning of the body. It contains magnesium which can help prevent high and low blood pressure,” says Dr. B. N. Sinha.
7. Boosts Energy: “Cucumber juice manages to offer good nutrition and is an excellent source of B vitamins. Deficiency of B vitamins often results in fatigue, irritability and poor concentration. Drinking cucumber juice ensures your body is supplied with these vitamins and leaves you feeling energetic,” says Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja, Fortis Hospitals.
8. Improves Sleep: “Cucumber juice has the ability to calm your nerves, reduce anxiety and stress. As such it helps in improving your sleep cycle,” says Dr. B. N. Sinha.
9. Cools Your Body: Delhi-based Nutritionist Anshul Jaibharat says, “Since cucumber juice is high on water content, it works as a coolant.” Dr. Shalini Manglani adds, “It helps people who have excessive water retention and is a fantastic drink for the hot summer months.”
10. Improves Eyesight: Dr. Sinha says, “If you want to improve your eyesight, drink cucumber juice. It has proven to be one of the most useful, natural ways for treating eyesight according to many studies.”
11. Good for Skin: Shilpa Arora says, “Cucumbers are an excellent source of silica - the beauty mineral.” Placing chilled slices of cucumber over your eyes may seem like a cliched beauty ritual, but it really does help in getting rid of dark circles and puffiness. But, “did you know: Drinking cucumber juice gives you healthy skin from within? It is high in vitamins and minerals and improves your skin, leaving it rejuvenated.” This is perhaps due to cucumber's high antioxidant levels, which calm inflammation in the body, reduce the likelihood of redness, puffiness and blemishes.
12. Promotes Hair Growth: Dr. Anju says, “Cucumber juice is extremely good for your hair. It contains silicon and sulphur which collectively stop hair fall, and promote healthy hair.”
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and YouTube.