The world is going through a peculiar time right now. Coronavirus has claimed lakhs of lives worldwide and the numbers are pretty grim back home too. To address the threat, a nationwide lockdown was announced on 24th March. Everyone is advised to stay indoors and refrain from stepping out for a period of 21 days as a precautionary measure to fight the virus. Practicing social distancing and self-isolation could break the chain of infection soon, as per experts. If you are wondering what can you do to make the most of the self-quarantine, we may have some handy tips. Since it is also the time of season change, it is a good idea to tend towards your immunity. Drinking warm and healing beverages is a traditional remedy to keep nasal congestion and risk of cold and cough at bay.
Here are 5 warm drinks you could prepare yourself at home. Remember, these drinks are not a substitute to prescribed medicine. If you are experiencing some odd symptoms, it must be reported to a certified expert.
5 Warm And Healing Drinks You Could Have During Self-Quarantine:
1. Kadha: Kadha is an ancient remedy for cold, cough, general immunity and digestion. The decoction in prepared in a myriad ways, but what remains constant is the use of spices. Yes, you heard us; spices like cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, cloves have a healing property. They could do wonders for your immunity. Here's a recipe that could be of use.
2. Turmeric Water: Turmeric is creating ripples across the world for its potent anti-inflammatory properties. It is also packed with antioxidants that help curb free radical activity and strengthen immunity. Curcumin, the active compound of turmeric, also contains anti-microbial properties. Here's how you can make it at home.
3. Green Tea: The world is gushing about green tea, and its time you learn a thing or two about its wonder benefits too. Green tea is a zero calorie drink, provided it is enjoyed only with water without milk and sugar. It is also an incredible source of antioxidants, drinking it warm and fresh could have a soothing effect on your nasal tracts.
4. Warm Water With Honey and Lemon: The haling potion has all it takes to detox you and give a natural boost to your immunity. Honey happens to be a traditional cough suppressant; it also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Lemon on the other hand is enriched with vitamin C that could rev up your immune system.
5. Ginger Tea With A Hint Of Black Pepper: Your humble adrak ki chai with a twist of black pepper could not only be a flavourful addition to your diet but also a good move towards bolstering your immunity. According to the book 'Healing Foods' by DK Publishing House, ginger's volatile oils have anti-inflammatory properties similar to those of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which makes it an excellent remedy for flu, headaches and menstrual pains.
Try these warm drinks at home and let us know how you liked it.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.