Cape gooseberries, more commonly known as Rasbhari in India, is a small orange berry fruit. It has various names like golden berries, inca berry and ground berries. They are usually grown in warm regions like South Africa, South America, Central America, India and China. Its tarty taste has many admirers who can’t wait for the arrival of this seasonal fruit. The fruit is named as Cape gooseberry because it is first cultivated in Cape of Good Hope in South Africa. It is known as Peruvian ground cherry, Peruvian cherry, golden berry, Chinese lantern and Inca berry in different parts of the country. You can have them fresh as a healthy snack and also use them as a topping for desserts or in puddings. Did you know that cape gooseberries apparently contain more antioxidants than broccoli, apples, and pomegranates?
If you didn't, here's a list of some wonderful health benefits of eating cape gooseberries. 1. Store house of Vitamin C and antioxidantsCape gooseberries have abundant Vitamin C much more than lemons! Not only is Vitamin C good for your skin, but it also helps in boosting your immunity. It is said that it fulfills 18 percent of requirements of vitamin C, further helping in enhancing immunity. (Also read: 4 foods That Boost Your Immunity)
health benefits of cape gooseberries:Cape gooseberries have abundant vitamin C
2. Good for your eyesApart from Vitamin C, cape gooseberries are also rich in Vitamin A which improves eyesight, and immunity. Cape gooseberries are rich in iron too which further boosts your vision. It provides 14 percent of daily requirement of vitamin A, which is good for eyes, prevents cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: Apart from Vitamin C, cape gooseberries are also rich in vitamin A
3. Controls high blood pressureDue to the presence of phyto-chemicals such as polyphenols and carotenoids, cape gooseberries can regulate high blood pressure levels. These chemicals along with the soluble pectin fibre keep bad cholesterol levels in check and promote heart health.(Also read: Control High Blood Pressure With These 5 Everyday Foods)
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: cape gooseberries can regulate high blood pressure levels
4. Bone strengthBeing high in calcium and phosphorous, these berries help in making your bones stronger. It also has a good proportion of pectin that helps in calcium and phosphorus absorption, thereby, making bones stronger and manage conditions like rheumatism and dermatitis.
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: these berries help in making your bones stronger
5. Can control diabetes Cape gooseberries contain immense soluble fibre like fructose which can prove beneficial for diabetic patients. These berries can help lower the blood sugar levels. If you are a diabetic, make you consult a diabetologist to ensure it doesn't affect your blood sugar levels.
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: Cape gooseberries contain immense soluble fibre like fructose
6. Promotes weight LossLow in fat and calories, a handful of cape gooseberries make for a great snack or a meal filler to support your weight loss goals. Toss them in a bowlful of fruit salads or veggie salads to make the most of them. (Also read: What to Eat and Avoid for Weight Loss)
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: Low in fat and calories, a handful of cape gooseberries make for a great snack
7. Eases digestionOnce again, fibre plays an important role in managing your digestive processes. Fibre-rich cape gooseberries are great to add to your diet. Moreover, the pectin fibre it contains helps calm the disturbed gastro-intestinal (GI) tract, prevents constipation and also serves as a great laxative.(Also read: 5 Fiber-Rich Foods You Must Have Everyday)
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: Once again, fibre plays an important role in managing your digestive processes
8. Anti-Inflammatory properties Cape gooseberries are rich in anthocyanins which prevents inflammation caused by pain, swelling, and redness. Also, due to the presence of polyphenols and other antioxidants, these berries may help in treating disorders like asthma which is basically the inflammation of tracheal passage. (Also read: 7 Best Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Must Add to Your Diet)
Health benefits of cape gooseberries: Cape gooseberries are rich in anthocyanins which prevents inflammation
9. Fights cold and fluAntioxidant-rich cape gooseberries can protect you against common cold and flu attacks. Consume them with tea or hot water at least twice a day. It will soothe your clogged nasal passage and you will begin to feel much more relaxed.(Also read: 5 Magical Home Remedies for Cold You Probably Haven't Tried Yet)
Health benefits of cape gooseberry: Antioxidant-rich cape gooseberries can protect you
Cape gooseberries may boast of a host of health benefits, however, one must observe caution while consuming these delicious berries. Unripe cape gooseberries can contain alkaloids which may cause allergic reactions.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.