Hypertension is one of the most common lifestyle diseases today, with every fifth person we meet suffering from it. A critical step in preventing and treating high blood pressure is making the right lifestyle choices. These lifestyle changes can help reduce your blood pressure along with the use of prescribed medications.Many of us become excessively dependent on allopathic medicines, which can have side effects if taken in the long term. Instead, a holistic approach to wellness and comprehensive coaching can ensure you a better quality of life. A little attention towards what you eat can help you regulate your system beneficially.Common causes or contributing factors of hyper tension or high blood pressure are obesity, genetic factors, excessive drinking, high salt intake, lack of exercise, stress, birth control pills, pain relievers, kidney disease and adrenal disease. Blood pressure generally is higher in the winter and lower in the summer. That's because low temperatures cause your blood vessels to become narrow, which increases blood pressure as more pressure is needed to force blood through your narrowed veins and arteries.People already suffering from high blood pressure or on the border line need to work harder to keep the level in check. You should always opt for natural remedies that can help reduce or control blood pressure. Note: always consult a doctor before changing or altering your medicines.Here are a few suggestions:1. LemonLemon is one of the best remedies for hypertension. It is known to make the blood vessels soft and flexible, lowering blood pressure level. Lemon contains high amounts of Vitamin C, which acts as an anti-oxidant, removing free radicals from the body. High triglyceride level can affect the liver and lead to weight gain, which may affect your blood pressure. Lemon juice is known to lower the triglyceride level and is thus beneficial for individuals suffering from hypertension. Lemon juice also lowers cholesterol. It is a mild diuretic and hence drinking lemon juice regularly is advisable.
Lemon is one of the best remedies for hypertension.Image Credit: istock
2. Watermelon SeedsWatermelon seeds contain a compound called cucurbocitrin, which helps widen the blood capillaries. At the same time, it also helps improve kidney functioning. This in turn reduces blood pressure levels and helps a lot with arthritis.How to use:
- Grind equal quantities of dried watermelon seeds and poppy seeds (khuskhus). Take one teaspoon of this mixture in the morning on an empty stomach and again in the evening.
- Alternatively, add two teaspoons of gently crushed, dried watermelon seeds to one cup of boiled water. Steep it for about an hour, and then strain it. Take four tablespoons of this water at regular intervals throughout the day.
Watermelon also helps improve kidney functioning.Image Credit: istock
3. GarlicBoth raw and cooked garlic help control high blood pressure and at the same time reduce cholesterol levels. Garlic helps relax blood vessels by stimulating the production of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide.How to use:
- Eat one or two crushed garlic cloves daily. You can simply crush them with your hands. Crushing garlic cloves releases hydrogen sulfide, a compound that promotes good blood flow. It removes gas and reduces the pressure on the heart. If you do not like eating raw garlic or if it causes a burning sensation, then take it along with a cup of milk.
- You can also mix five or six drops of garlic juice in four teaspoons of water and take it twice a day.
Both raw and cooked garlic help control high blood pressure. Image Credit: istock
4. BananaBanana is one fruit that people with high blood pressure can eat regularly to control it. Banana is a rich source of potassium, which lessens the effect of sodium. So, try to eat one or two bananas daily. Along with bananas, you can try dried apricots, raisins, currants, orange juice, spinach, zucchini, baked sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, and winter squash.
5. CeleryThe high level of the phytochemical 3-N-butylphthalide present in celery greatly helps control high blood pressure. Phthalates help relax the muscles in and around the arterial walls, thereby creating more space and allowing the blood to flow in without difficulty. At the same time; it can help reduce the stress hormones that constrict blood vessels, which contributes to high blood pressure.How to use:Try to eat one stalk of celery along with a glass of water daily. If you prefer, you can munch on celery throughout the day.
The high level of the phytochemical 3-N-butylphthalide present in celery greatly helps control high blood pressure. Image Credit: istock
What you eat brings a huge difference to your body. Adopt a healthier lifestyle as opposed to going on diets or starving the body. Consult a health and wellness coach who can help you transform your life by facilitating changes in your lifestyle that will help in controlling hypertension. Lifestyle modifications are essential. Small lifestyle choices go a long way in maintaining long term good health.Disclaimer:The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.