If there's one thing we absolutely love about road trips and long-drives , it is definitely crossing past dhabas lining up the roadside. We can't deny that these dhabas serve some of the best Indian foods that we can't get anywhere else. They turn simple, everyday foods into distinct dishes with some swoon-worthy flavours. One of such dishes is 'dal tadka'. If you haven't figured out yet what makes dhaba dal so different, allow us to dish out the secret. It's the way they make the tadka of the dal that does all the magic. And, if you have been trying to replicate dhaba-style dal tadka at home and haven't achieved it so far, now you can, with this recipe.
Here's The Recipe For Dhaba-Style Dal Tadka:
Step 1. Boil the dal:
- Soak 1 cup mixed dal in water for 1 hour.
- Put the dal in a pressure cooker, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Pressure cook the dal for about 5-8 minutes (3-4 whistles).
Step 2. Prepare The Gravy:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and let it crackle.
- Add 1 chopped onion and fry it until light golden brown.
- Now add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, 1 chopped green chilli and fry till it releases aroma.
- Add 1 chopped tomato and fry well.
- Then add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, and 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder. Cook well for a minute.
- Add dal water whichremained after boiling the dal and 1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi along with it.
- Pour the boiled dal in this onion tomato gravy and let it boil on medium flame.
- Add more water if required.
Step 3. Prepare Tadka:
- In a pan heat 2 tablespoon ghee or butter, 1 teaspoon of hing and add cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Add 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, 2 dry red chillis, and 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Cook for few seconds.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder and 2 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Pour the tadka over the cooked dal.
Dhaba-style Dal Tadka is ready. Serve it with a dollop of butter and with a hot roti, naan or jeera rice.
If you want to avoid the long process of preparing the gravy, then buy a ready-mix dal tadka masala. Here're two options for you:
For preparing dal tadka, you can consider these ingredients: