Nestle Approaches Bombay High Court Against an Order Passed by FSSAI
PTI | Updated: June 11, 2015 13:41 IST
Embroiled in the Maggi controversy, Nestle India today said it has approached the Bombay High Court to seek a judicial review of the food safety regulator FSSAI's order over quality of its instant noodles.
(We Will Remove 'No MSG' from the Maggi Noodles Label: Nestle's Global CEO)
"As part of the efforts to resolve the Maggi noodles issue, Nestle India has today approached the Bombay High Court raising issues of interpretation of the Food Safety and Standards Act 2011 while seeking a judicial review of the order dated June 6, 2015, passed by the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) in Maharashtra and the order dated June 5 passed by FSSAI," it said in a filing to BSE.
"At the same time, we are continuing withdrawal of Maggi noodle products. This action will not interfere with this process." The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) issued an order last week banning all variants of Nestle India's Maggi noodles, terming them as "unsafe and hazardous" for human consumption.
(Excess Lead Found, Food Inspectors Order Recall of Maggi Noodles)
Nestle India had to recall the product from the market after several states banned the '2-minute' instant food as tests showed it contained taste enhancer MSG (monosodium glutamate) and lead in excess of permissible limits.(Celebrities React to Maggi Noodles Controversy on Twitter)
The Maharashtra government, too, had banned Maggi noodles after some samples were found to contain lead above the stipulated limit. "We shall proceed further as per orders that may be passed by the Bombay High Court," it added. Nestle was trading 0.44 per cent higher at Rs 6,083.35 on
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and YouTube.