1. Cilantro: This common herb contains detoxifying, antibacterial and immune enhancing essential oils, and can help remove heavy metals from the body. Cilantro also aids digestion, fights nausea and stomach cramps, balances blood sugar levels, and is mildly laxative. Sprinkle it over your food, or add it to your juices for a detox drink.
2. Triphala: Along with its many healing and nourishing properties, triphala is a mild but effective laxative. It is great for detoxification. Triphala is an Ayurvedic herbal formula consisting of equal parts of Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki. Every night at least one hour after supper, take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of triphala. Add about 1/2 cup of boiling water to the triphala powder, and let it steep for 10 minutes or until it has cooled down, then drink it.
3. Milk Thistle: Milk thistle acts like an antioxidant, and helps in nourishing and rejuvenating dead cells. Milk thistle, or more commonly known as "silymarin", is a herb native to the Mediterranean countries, but is also found in other parts of the world today. The seeds and leaves of this natural herb can be consumed on an empty stomach before meals for best results. It is known to draw out toxins from the body, thus aiding detoxification.
4. Neem: Neem leaves maybe extremely bitter in taste, but they are excellent for your liver and also boost digestion. Consuming neem leaves on a daily basis is known to destroy bacteria and other harmful microorganisms in the intestinal tract and cleanse the colon, further facilitating smoother digestion. It is replete with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, and anti-viral properties.
5. Mint: Mint has high levels of antioxidants and helps in digestion. Drinking mint tea cleanses the stomach and helps with irritated bowel syndrome. It acts as a cooling ingredient for the skin and helps deal with skin irritation. It helps with teeth whitening, fights bad breath and is an excellent blood cleanser, detoxifying the body from within.
These herbs are easily available in the market, and can be used regularly to cleanse the body of toxins. Add them to your food or make detox drinks for maximum benefits. In our hectic day-to-day lives, it is tough to keep a strict watch on one's diet and so, undergoing detoxification once in a while can prove to be highly beneficial.