When you're chained to your desk all day it's extremely difficult, almost impossible to resist snacking. Who wouldn't want to gorge on a crispy samosa with hot piping chai? Not only does it sound absolutely divine, it also takes the edge off a not-so-great day.
The highs and lows of eating at your desk!
Some other alarmingly unhealthy snacks that seize our thoughts in-between work are chips, kachoris, cheese sandwiches, peanuts, packaged namkeens and steamed momos. Nobody can deny that they bring comfort to your otherwise ordinary day, but they're also high in sodium, sugar, salt and fat! All of these contribute to obesity and other non-communicable diseases like diabetes, cancer, stroke and respiratory diseases.
Packed lunches will never be boring again
But all snacking isn't unhealthy. In fact, snacks in small quantities between meals help in incresing your metabolic activities, which in turn helps with weight loss. The right kind of snack can keep your calorie meter in check. So ditch high calorie, high fat food and opt for healthier snacks. Without compromising on the taste of course.
Here are few options of healthy snacks which you can easily carry to office:
1. Fruits: They're rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and keep you full through the day. Carry fruits like banana, apples, oranges, guava, and berries or a bowl of cut fruits with some black salt on the side.
2. Murmura or puffed rice: You can eat them as is or can mix it with tomatoes, cucumber, sprouts, mint chutney and make a healthy bhel puri.
3. Nuts are protein booster but should be eaten in moderation. You can make a healthy snack by mixing bran flakes with nuts like almonds, walnuts, raisins, dry berries etc.
4. Indian snacks like idlis, poha, upma and dhokla are also very good healthy snacks options for office.
5. Sprouts: They're rich in proteins and fiber. You can use chana, moong or Bengal gram sprouts. They are low in calories and high on fiber which will keep you full for long time.
6. Roasted peanuts: A handful of peanuts can provide you with required amount of proteins and minerals and will keep you full.
7. Roasted chana and popcorn are fat free and low calorie snacks options for office.
8. Roasted snacks like roasted wheat, roasted moong, and soy stick
9. Corn that is boiled or steamed is high in fiber, easy to carry and keeps you full.
10. You can also chomp on a bowl of fresh vegetables.
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.