Aalan ka Saag Recipe
A unique combination made into a `daal' like preparation with spinach, besan and moong dal.
- Total Cook Time 50 mins
- Prep Time 05 mins
- Cook Time 45 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Aalan ka Saag
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped palak (spinach)
- 5 cups (960 gm) water
- 1/2 cup (60 gm) besan (chick-pea/gram flour)
- 1 Tbsp (30 gm) ghee (clarified butter)
- 2-3 sabut lal mirch (whole red peppers) broken into large pieces
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/4 tsp heeng (asafoetida)
- 2 Tbsp moong daal chhilkewali (split green gram), washed
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- Chaat masala
- Lemon wedges
How to Make Aalan ka SaagHideShow Media
Mix in a little of the water into the besan to form a smooth paste, and then add the rest of the water and keep aside.
Heat the ghee, and add the chilli powder, jeera and heeng.
When they darken a bit, add the daal and saute for a few seconds.
Add to this the water mixture and bring to a boil and then simmer.
Add the haldi, chilli powder, salt and the palak, and continue simmering, till the liquid looks smooth--about 15 minutes.
Serve hot with the chaat masala and the lemon wedges on the side.