Aloo Dum Recipe
How to make Aloo Dum
About Aloo Dum Recipe: Fried potatoes cooked in spice rich yogurt gravy.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Aloo Dum
- 500 gm even-sized potatoes
- Oil for deep frying the potatoes
- For the Gravy:
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 green cardamoms-roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds-roasted and pounded coarsely
- 3-4 cloves-roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup tomatoes-skinned, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 green chillies-slit
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 Tbsp cream
How to Make Aloo DumHideShow Media
Peel, wash and pat the potatoes dry. Prick with a fork, in 2-3 places.
Deep-fry over high heat till light brown. Set aside on an absorbent paper.
Heat the ghee in a heavy-based saucepan and add the bay leaves.
When they darken a bit, add the roasted and pounded spices.
Stir a little, and then add the ginger. Stir-fry till colour changes slightly.
Add tomatoes and continue stir-frying till the fat separates.
Add the yoghurt and continue to stir till the fat separates again.
Now add the salt, turmeric, coriander powder and chilli powder.
Mix well and add the fried potatoes and green chillies.
Stir till the vegetables are coated with the masala, and begin to stick slightly to the pan.
Add enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil.
Simmer at a low heat till the potatoes are cooked through and the gravy is well blended. Serve hot, garnished with cream and chopped coriander leaves.