How to make Ghewar
About Ghewar Recipe: A delicious, Rajasthani dessert, most popularly made during the month of August or the auspicious month of Shravana when the festival of Teej and Raksha Bandhan falls. Ghewar is a disc-shaped sweet with a texture that resembles a honeycomb is made with all purpose flour and soaked in sugar syrup.There are a plenty of varieties of the traditional dessert Ghewar including mawa and malai. Here is a easy, hassle free recipe of Ghewar that you can easily cook at home and enjoy the festivities with your family.
Ingredients of Ghewar
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 cup Ghee (solidified)
- 3-4 Ice cubes
- 4 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 tsp Food colour (yellow)
- 1 kg Ghee (for deep frying)
- For the syrup:
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- For topping:
- 1 tsp Cardamom, powdered
- 1 tbsp Almonds & pistachios, chopped
- 1 tbsp Milk (with 1/2 tsp saffron has been rubbed in silver foil)
How to Make Ghewar
- 1.Prepare sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency.
- 2.Take solidified ghee in a large wide bowl. Taking one ice cube at a time, rub the ghee vigorously. Take more ice cubes as required, till ghee becomes very white.
- 3.Add milk, flour and a cup of water. Mix to make a smooth batter.
- 4.Dissolve colour in some water and add this to the batter. Add more water if required. Batter should be fairly thin (it should run off easily when poured from a spoon).
- 5.Take an aluminium or steel cylindrical container (do not use lid). The height should be at least 12" and diameter 5-6". Fill the container half with ghee. Heat it.
- 6.When the ghee is smoky hot, take a 50 ml glass full of batter. Pour in centre of ghee, slowly in one continuous threadlike stream. Allow foam to settle. Pour one more glassful in the hole formed in centre.
- 7.When foam settles again, loosen ghewar with an iron skewer inserted in hole. Lift carefully, at a slant, and place on wire mesh to drain. Keep the hot syrup in a wide flat bottomed container to fit in ghevar. Dip ghevar in it, and remove, keep aside on mesh to drain excess syrup.
- 8.Alternatively, pour some syrup evenly all over, keeping ghevar in a mesh placed over a container. Cool a little, top with silver foil.
- 9.Splash a few drops of saffron milk, sprinkle some chopped dry fruit and a few pinches of cardamom powder.
- 10.Serve. One may also serve ghevar with rabri prepared in advance.
Key Ingredients: Flour, Ghee (solidified), Ice cubes, Water, Milk, Food colour (yellow), Ghee (for deep frying), Sugar, Water, Cardamom, Almonds & pistachios, Milk (with 1/2 tsp saffron has been rubbed in silver foil)