Story ProgressBack to home
Goan Coconut Curry Recipe
A coconut-y curry flavored with spices and tamarind.
- Total Cook Time 50 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 40 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Goan Coconut Curry
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Tamarind pulp extracted out of 20g ball of tamarind
- 2 Tbsp cumin seeds, dry roasted
- 2-4 whole dried red peppers, dry roasted
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds, dry roasted
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds, dry roasted
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup onions - chopped fine
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 cup tomatoes - grated
- 2-3 green chillies - slit
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
How to Make Goan Coconut CurryHideShow Media
Grind the coconut, garlic, ginger, and the roasted ingredients to a fine paste.
Heat oil, add the onions and the curry leaves and stir fry, till the onions are light brown.
Add tomatoes and stir fry till fat separates, and add the ground paste, garam masala, turmeric and salt, and stir fry till the mixture starts sticking to the pan a little.
Add about 1 1/2 cups water and mix well. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the coconut cream and tamarind pulp. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 2 minutes.