Story ProgressBack to home
How to make khatta
About Khatta: This sour dish is all about the exotic flavours of amchur powder (made with dried mangoes) and chickpea flour. The recipe uses fried besan ka boondis to add some crunch but this can be substituted with regular chickpeas too.
- Total Cook Time 55 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 45 mins
- Recipe Servings8
Ingredients of Khatta
- 4 heaped tablespoons coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 8 heaped tablespoons besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 heaped tablespoons of amchur (mango powder)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon of asafetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 large stick of cinnamon/dalchini
- 2 black cardamon pods
- 10 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- For the boondi:
- 1 cup of besan (chick pea flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya)
- Chili powder to taste
- 1/4 cup water
How to Make KhattaHideShow Media
For the Boondies:
In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the boondi with water.
Heat 5-6 cups of mustard oil for frying.
Sieve the boondi batter through a sieve with rounded holes and fry the boondi till crisp but do not brown.
For the Khatta Gravy:
Heat 4 tablespoons of mustard oil.
Add 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds, dalchini, moti eilachi and 1/2 teaspoon of hing (asafetida).
Combine and add the coriander powder, besan, chili powder, turmeric, amchur powder, salt and mix well.
Add 10 cups of water and stir very well smoothing out any bumps and bubbles.
Boil for 15 minutes. Add the boondi and boil for 5 minutes.
6. Take the pot off the fire and set aside as the mixture will thicken.
Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with white rice.