Peerkangai Kootu Recipe
Peerkangai (ridge gourd) kootu is a common dish in Tamil Nadu. This dish combines moong dal with ridge gourd. It's a great accompaniment with rice and rasam. It can also be eaten along with rotis.
- Total Cook Time 40 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 30 mins
- Recipe Servings2
Ingredients of Peerkangai Kootu
- 250 gm ridge gourd, peeled and chopped
- 150 gm moong dal
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup of grated coconut
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 dried red chillies
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- A few sprigs of curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
How to Make Peerkangai KootuHideShow Media
1. Boil the ridge gourd separately in a small quantity of water with turmeric and salt.
2. Pressure cook the dal separately.
3. Fry red chillies and urad dal in coconut oil (small quantity) till they turn golden brown.
4. Add the coconut, pepper, jeera and curry leaves and stir fry. Cool it down and grind it to a coarse paste.
5. Bring all the ingredients together and stir fry (add water if required).
6. Temper the mustard, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves in coconut oil and add it to the mixture.