How To Make Sambar
Recipe Servings: 4
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Easy
About Sambar Recipe: Savour the taste of the most favourite South Indian curry. A simple yet impressive sambar recipe made using yellow lentils, sambar masala, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Ingredients of Sambar
- 1 Cup yellow lentils (arhar or toover daal)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp sambar masala
- 3 tbsp thickish tamarind pulp or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 7-8 Curry leaves
- 2-3 Whole dry red peppers
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, cut into approx.1
- 1 onion (cut into quarters), large
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (to garnish)., chopped
How to Make Sambar
- 1.Cook daal with salt, till absolutely tender, no grains remain.
- 2.Add sambar masala, sugar and vegetables, including the onions, and cook till the vegetables are tender, and add tamarind. Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds.
- 3.When they splutter, add the whole red peppers and the curry leaves. Turn around 2-3 times, then add the daal mixture.
- 4.Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 5 minutes, Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: yellow lentils (arhar or toover daal), salt, sugar, sambar masala, thickish tamarind pulp or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate, mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Whole dry red peppers, mixed vegetables, cut into approx.1, onion (cut into quarters), oil, coriander leaves (to garnish).