How To Make Sambar
About Sambar Recipe: Savour the taste of the most favourite and quintessential South Indian curry. A simple yet impressive sambar recipe made using yellow lentils, sambar masala, mustard seeds, curry leaves and some vegetables.
- Total Cook Time 45 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 35 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Sambar
- 1 Cup yellow lentils (arhar or toover daal)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp sambar masala
- 3 tbsp thickish tamarind pulp or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 7-8 Curry leaves
- 2-3 Whole dry red peppers
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, cut into approx.1
- 1 onion (cut into quarters), large
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (to garnish)., chopped
How to Make SambarHideShow Media
Cook daal with salt, till absolutely tender, no grains remain.
Add sambar masala, sugar and vegetables, including the onions, and cook till the vegetables are tender, and add tamarind. Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds.
When they splutter, add the whole red peppers and the curry leaves. Turn around 2-3 times, then add the daal mixture.
Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 5 minutes, Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.