How to make Walnut-Blueberry Oatmeal Energy Bites
Recipe Servings: 20
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
About Walnut-Blueberry Oatmeal Energy Bites Recipe: Walnuts and blueberries take center stage in this nutrient-dense mini energy bite.
Ingredients of Walnut-Blueberry Oatmeal Energy Bites
- 1 Cup walnuts (lightly toasted), chopped
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked, regular or quick-cooking (not instant)
- 1/2 cup coconut (unsweetened), shredded
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp water, boiled
How to Make Walnut-Blueberry Oatmeal Energy Bites
- 1.Preheat the oven to 350°F and cover cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2.In a large mixing bowl, combine the walnuts, flour, oatmeal, coconut, maple sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- 3.Stir with a fork or whisk until completely mixed. Add the blueberries and stir to combine.
- 4.Combine the maple syrup, olive oil and butter in a small saucepan.
- 5.Place over medium heat and stir until the butter melts. In a small bowl, add the baking soda to the boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- 6.Add to the syrup mixture and stir to blend; it will become very bubbly. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir vigorously to combine.
- 7.Using a tablespoon and your hands, scoop up pieces of dough and press them into walnut-sized balls.
- 8.Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. With your fingers or the palm of your hand, flatten each ball slightly into a puck shape.
- 9.Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until the cookies have spread slightly and are golden brown around the edges.
- 10.Cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe comes together very quickly, so you can make a batch for now, or store them the freezer for later. That is if they make it from the oven to the freezer!
Key Ingredients: walnuts (lightly toasted), whole-wheat flour, oatmeal (uncooked, regular or quick-cooking (not instant), coconut (unsweetened), maple sugar, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, salt, dried blueberries, olive oil, butter, baking soda, water