Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
Recipe Servings: 8
Whole wheat grains cooked with vegetables, walnuts, Mexican chipotle and lots of herbs.
Ingredients of Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry Salad
- 2 cups soft wheat berries, rinsed (whole wheat grains)
- Kosher Salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces carrots, small dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 chopped chipotle en adobo plus 1 teaspoon chipotle en adobo sauce
- 1 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 scallions, light green and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley or cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
How to Make Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry Salad
- Fill a medium saucepan with heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in wheat berries, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until tender but still chewy, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet to cool. (Can be made through this step up to 4 days ahead. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and a pinch of salt and cook until just softened but still retains some bite, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in thyme and chipotle and sauce and cook until fragrant then remove from heat.
- Place wheat berries in a large, nonreactive bowl and add carrot mixture, nuts, and raisins.
- Whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, vinegar, and honey until honey is dissolved then stir into wheat berry mixture.
- Let salad marinate at least 15 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, add the scallions and herbs.
Key Ingredients: olive oil
, red wine vinegar
, Spring Onion
, coriander leaves
, Whole Wheat Flour