Gatte Ki Sabzi
Recipe Servings: 4
Learn the nuances of Rajputana Khana from Aditya Bal. Here's the recipe of the sensational 'Rajasthani Gatte ki Sabzi'. Gattas made with besan dipped in a spicy gravy.
- For the Gattas:
- 1 small cup besan
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- A hint of heeng
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp zeera
- 1/2 ginger, chopped fine
- 1 tsp pudina, chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 big cup curd, whisked
For the Base:
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 5 guntur chillies
- 1/2 tsp zeera
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 8-10 cloves
- 1 piece cassia
- 5-6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp chilly powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp dhania powder
- 1/4 tsp heeng
- 1 green chilly, slit
- Some coriander leaves, finely chopped
- For the gattas:
- Dry roast the zeera and then grind it in a mortar and pestle.
- In a bowl mix the besan, spices and zeera togethar to make the mixture for the gattas.
- Add to this the ginger and mint leaves.
- Add about 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of curd into the besan mixture along with the soda.
- Start to knead it like a dough. Add more curd if its too dry. Be careful not to add too much.
- Add a couple of drops of oil to make it easier to handle.
- Once you get the dough to a good consistency where it can be easily handled, you can now just divide it and roll them out into long thin strips.
- Now boil this rounded strips in some water in a pan.
- They will be very delicate so handle them with extreme care. Once done take them out.
- Now cut the long strips into smaller pieces and deep fry these pieces. You can shape the gattas as you like.
- Once there are nice and golden brown take them out and now prepare the base of this curry.
- Do not throw away the oil.
For the base:
- In a pan add 1 Tbsp of the oil in which the gattas were fried. Add to that 1 Tbsp of ghee.
- Add the chillies and zeera to the oil and let it brown.
- Now add the onions and saute.
- Add the cloves, cassia, and garlic. Saute well.
- Now add the powdered spices like turmeric, dhania powder, heeng, red chilly powder,
- Now just toast the spices. Add a pinch of salt.
- Now add some water to de-glaze the pan and lift the spices. (just a sprinkle of water to 'bhuno' the masala)
- Now use the curd that was left earlier from the gattas and add it to this masala. Add it little by little.
- Add a green chilly.
- Mix all the curd well with masalas.
- Once you see the oil coming up to the surface add the gattas.
- Mix well. Add the coriander leaves.
- Let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes for the flavors to concentrate.
- Serve hot.
Key Ingredients: gram flour
, coriander powder
, red chilli
, cumin seeds
, mint leaves
, baking soda
, vegetable oil
, clarified butter
, green chillies
, coriander leaves