Recipe Servings: 8
A beautifully spiced serving of rice with the goodness of chickpeas. Makes for a light and lovely meal in itself!
- 1 kg basmati rice
- 100 gms ghee or cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp ginger
- 2 Tbsp garlic
- 2 onion
- 1/2 kg tomato
- 200 gms yoghurt
- 70 gms garam masala (whole, see above)
- 20 gms + 10 gms red chilli flakes (cracked & whole)
- 1 whole or 3 tbsp seeds pomegranate seeds fresh
- 1/2 bunch coriander fresh
- 30 gms green chilli
- 100 gms Channa
- Soak the rice in water.
- Soak channa in warm water for 45 minutes.
- Slice one onion, chop ginger and garlic.
- Chop tomato, green chilli & green coriander
- Saute onion, ginger and garlic in oil or ghee in a pan,
- When it starts browning, put tomato, yoghurt, coriander, red chilli & salt.
- Add the above ingredients and whole garam masala along with the soaked channa into the copper pot.
- Boil rice in a separate pan (equal part of rice and water.) When water starts boiling, strain the rice and add it into the pot.
- When all the water is absorbed, put lid on the pot & seal it for 15 minutes for dum.
- Meanwhile, chop some onion, cucumber, tomato and make kachumbar salad.
- Open the dum, set rice in small bowl.
- Invert the rice onto a plate and serve with Kachumbar salad & mint chutney.
Key Ingredients: Basmati Rice
, Clarified Butter
, garam masala
, red chilli
, coriander leaves
, green chillies