I come across the most stunning women. Perfectly done make-up, not a hair out of place, bags and clothes matched together but many a time if you look at their feet they seem neglected. I have always tried to make people understand that skin and hair care is not enough, you need to nurture and nourish every part of your body. Our feet carry the burden of of our daily lives from the moment we wake up until we sleep and keeping the same in mind I give out easy and fuss free home remedies for cracked heels. Just as we need to keep our face and hair well nourished, we also need to keep our feet nourished and moisturized. A pedicure twice a month is a must especially if you mostly wear open sandals and chappals. Dead skin build up and dryness leads to cracked heels and it is essential to work on them when the skin starts feeling slightly hardened.
Here are 5 effective home remedies for cracked heels
1. For Soft HeelsWho does not wish to have smooth and soft heels. Interestingly, you only need a handful of ingredients from your kitchen to have perfectly smooth heels. You can make this wonderful concoction to soak your feet in it and see the results for yourself. For effective results repeat the process daily. You would need.
- 1 tub of warm soapy water
- 100 ml seed oil
- A handful of marbles
- 500 ml full fat milk
- A handful of rose petals
- A handful of fresh margosa/neem leaves
- 5 drops geranium oil
- 5 drops sandalwood oil
- 2 tsp wheatgerm oil
Mix everything together and soak your feet in this water for about 20 minutes and pat dry. Use a pumice stone to dislodge dead skin on the heels.
Home remedies for cracked heels: A handful of ingredients from your kitchen may give you smooth heels. Image: istock
1 cup oatmeal
2. Sea Salt and Oatmeal ScrubMake the following scrub and use it daily while bathing.
100 ml almond oil
100 gms sea salt
100 gms honey
100 gms rice powder
10 drops juniper oil
10 drops peppermint oilMix all the ingredients well and store in an air tight jar. Use a loofah and scrub daily on our feet. Not only will it help dislodge dirt and grime but also soften dead skin and start to make the skin smoother and crack free.3. Oil Your Feet at Night I treated a client with a very simple formula of natural goodness and I am going to share it with you.Oil you feet at night with a mixture of the following-2 tsp castor oil
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp almond oilMassage these oils on your feet (this should be done at night). Smear Vaseline into the cracks of your feet, see that it is absorbed into them very well. Melt a candle in a saucepan on a gentle flame. Use a flat brush and carefully apply to the skin. Let this cool and dry. Wear cotton socks and cover.
Leave overnight. Next day in the morning peel off from the skin and rub any remaining residue into the skin.
Home remedies for cracked heels: castor oil can help lend smooth and soft heels. Image: istock
4. Quick Remedy: Lime + SugarA daily 5-minute routine that you can do is to take lemon halves and 3 tsp of sugar. Dip the lemon halves into the sugar and scrub on the heels daily until all the granules have melted into the skin. Let it dry and wash off with water and pat dry.
5. Home pedicureMost people do not realize that a home pedicure will also work miracles for cracked heels. Gear yourself with the following-Two large towels
Essential oil of ylang ylang- 5drops
Warm soapy water
500ml full fat warm milk
20ml olive oil
Nourishing cream(Also Read: 4 Kitchen Ingredients You Can Use to Protect Your Feet During Monsoons)
Home remedies for cracked heels: home pedicure helps you get smooth heels. Image: istock
File the nails and soak your feet into a tub of warm water and milk and add essential oil along with olive oil. Brush nails and clean them well. Using a pumice stone scrub heels until soft and smooth. With a sponge apply nourishing tub water to the legs upto the knees and on the top and soles of the feet.Pat dry and massage with a nourishing cream and wipe dry. Buff the nails until smooth and shiny and your feet will be ready to dance! Spending five minutes daily to take care of your feet can go a long way.
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.