It has been emphasized time and again that early risers lead a much healthier life as compared to those who wake up much later in the day. But is rising early all that you need to do? Not really. A healthy kick-start to the day has a lot to do with the first sip or bite you take. According to health experts around the world, starting the day with a glass of lemon water can do wonders to your overall health and fitness. So what is it about the miracle potion that works like a charm? Let's find out. According to experts, drinking lemon water vitalises you from within. It kick starts your metabolism, aids weight loss and serves as an ideal antioxidant boost. Practicing the simple morning ritual could also help reduce risk of kidney stone formation.
Here are 5 benefits of starting your day with lemon water:
1. Aids Weight Loss Have you been trying to shed some extra kilos lately? Turns out, that how you spend your mornings may play a crucial role. Mornings are said to be the best time to put in all effort to lose weight. And you know what may help? A glass of lukewarm water with few drops of lemon. According to experts, this magic potion can boost the body's metabolism to a great extent. For losing weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume. A person with a faster and higher metabolism uses more calories to perform all of its required functions than a person with a lower metabolism.
2. Antioxidant BoostDrinking lemon water right in the morning can give your body a perfect antioxidant boost. Lemon is loaded with the goodness of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a crucial antioxidant that helps boost skin health, immunity and protects your DNA from free radical damage, which may help slow down aging and prevent you from various heart diseases and even cancer. (Also Read: 6 Amazing Vitamin C Benefits For Skin And Health)
3. Reduces The Risk of Kidney stonesAccording to several studies, consuming lemon water right at the start of the day may help reduce the risk of kidney stone formation. One of the major reasons of kidney stones is due to painful deposits in the urine. The citric acid present in lemon water helps flush out these calcified deposits and the acid from the lemon can help keep the stones from coming together.
4. Aids DigestionThe acidic composition of lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials and toxins from your body. Lemon water also encourages the liver to produce more bile which further helps in digestion and detoxification. In addition to this, lemon water cures heartburn, belching and bloating as well. (Also Read: Things To Do Before Your Meal To Improve Your Digestion)
5. Energizes and Enhances MoodA glass of lemon water can give you the much needed energy boost that you need at the start of the day. Its invigorating smell is enough to wake you up from the slumber and brighten your mood. According to various experts, its scent can also curb signs of anxiety and depression. Apart from this, it freshens your breath too.(Also Read: Honey, Lemon and Water: Urban Myth or Miracle Potion?)
So, give your day a healthy kick-start by drinking this magic potion!
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.