Stomach problems and digestive issues can really take a toll on our body. Your last night's heavy meal could have tasted heavenly, but now it seems to be giving your tummy a hard time. Poor eating habits can often trigger indigestion. Indigestion can result in stomach pain or bloating, heartburn, nausea, vomiting and let's not forget the irritability it brings along. There is lots that you can do about keeping your digestive system running smooth naturally. Several fruits that have a high fibre content can help aid digestion. Some of the fruits that have been known to improve digestion are as follows:
1. ApricotsThe fuzzy fruit is loaded with vitamin c which is critical for boosting immunity and skin health. In addition to this, apricots also boast of a high fibre content that maintains bowel regularity, which can prevent constipation and boost your colon health.
2. AppleWeather or not the apple can keep the doctor away, it can surely keep a host of your digestive woes at bay. Apples are high in pectin fibre. Pectin can provide relief from both constipation and diarrhea, depending on the body's need. Pectin helps improve digestion because of it's soluble nature and ability to bind to cholesterol or toxins in the body and eliminate them out of your system.(Also Read: 8 Incredible Health Benefits of Apple That You May Not Have Known)
3. KiwiEating kiwi fruit can help in better digestion. Green kiwi fruit has an enzyme called actinidin which may deliver enhanced digestion of protein. Kiwi is also known to have a mild laxative effect which is linked to its high fibre content. According to the book 'Healing Foods' by DK publishing, two kiwis provide 20 percent of the daily recommended amount of fibre, aid digestion and facilitate colon health.
4. Bananas Its high fibre content facilitates bowel regularity and thus, fastens the digestion process. According to the book 'Healing Foods', it also has "anatacid effects that protect the stomach from ulcers that build in the stomach lining, and eliminates the bacteria that cause stomach ulcers These antacids are also good for easing heartburn ."
5. GuavaThe crunchy and delicious winter fruit can be the solution to many of your tummy issues. Guava is one of the richest sources of dietary fiber, shares Bangalore based nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood. In fact, in comparison to other fruits, just 1 guava fulfills about 12% of your daily recommended intake of fibre, which makes it extremely beneficial for your digestive health. In addition to this, guava seeds, if ingested whole or chewed, serve as excellent laxatives too, aiding smoother passage of stool.
6. MangoesMangoes contains enzymes that aid the breakdown and digestion of protein, and also fibre, which facilitates smoother flow of food and wastes through the digestive tract, notes the book 'Healing Foods'. The long term benefits of dietary fibre in lowering the risk of developing colon cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes are added bonuses.
Include these fruits to your daily diet to avoid digestion problems. Have them raw or in salads. Blend them into smoothies or juices. You can also carry them to work and snack on these nutritious wonders.