Rooibos is obtained from a shrub native to the Cape of Good Hope
It is known to have 50% more antioxidants than those found in green tea
It is free of caffeine and tannins unlike other varieties of teas
Photo Credit: Istock Green, black, brown and now, red! No, these aren’t just some colors on the palette of your paint box. They are hues in the world of tea. The latest addiction and addition to the list being the 'red' tea, all the way from South Africa. We are talking about the Rooibos tea. What makes Rooibos tea so popular is the fact that it is known to have 50% more antioxidants than those found in green tea. Rooibos is obtained from Aspalathus Linearis, a shrub native to the Cape of Good Hope.
According to Bangalore-based Nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood, "Red tea is an excellent anti-oxidant. It prevents the movement of free radicals in the body and thus, reduces oxidative stress. However, just like all kinds of tea, it must be had in moderation as tea is a natural dehydrator."
A powerhouse of health benefits
1. An antioxidant: The antioxidants present in rooibos tea prevent the movement of free radicals in the body and combat oxidative stress. This in turn prevents premature ageing and enables the maintenance of soft, supple skin.
2. Enables digestion: Red tea is caffeine-free and also free of tannins. This element is present in other teas and is known to cause digestive issues among many people. Red tea is a storehouse of antispasmodic elements, preventing diarrhea and gastric issues. It has no oxalic acid, this makes it suitable for those who are prone to developing kidney stones.
3. Full of micro-nutrients: Iron, zinc, copper and manganese are only a few of the many minerals that rooibos tea is rich in. If you are suffering from hair loss, red tea is known to improve hair growth by strengthening the hair follicles and provides the required nutrients that the body needs for healthy hair.
4. Boost your immunity: Red tea has the power to protect your body against diseases while building and strengthening your immunity and making you stronger from within.
5. Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties: These encourage healing wounds and giving relief from any kind of pain. The tea is super rich in polyphenols, thus aiding the immune system and thereby, boosting the health of an individual.
6. Improves the quality of sleep: It is important to note that rooibos tea is free of any caffeine content and therefore, it is extremely suitable for insomniacs. Caffeine is addictive and creates havoc for your the sleep cycle. Drinking red tea reverses the harrowing effects of too much caffeine and relaxes your tired nerves and calms you down.
7. Enhances bone strength: The presence of calcium and manganese is really good for your bones. Along with strengthening bones, it encourages bone and joint development. Thus, problems like arthritis are kept at bay.
8. Good for skin: Red tea is also the secret to beautiful and radiant skin. The alpha hydroxy content of red tea can reverse cell damage and rejuvenate the skin. As a rich source of bioflavanoids, red tea improves blood circulation and glowing skin.
Rooibus tea can be had plain or just like black tea with milk and a drop of honey. In case, you like it without milk, you can add a squeeze of lime for a citrusy flavour.