The trend of spiced coffee is grabbing many eyeballs in the market. Remember the stir caused by turmeric latte a while back? While some people called it just a fancy version of our humble 'haldi doodh', the viral concoction did make a lot of us embrace the idea of throwing spices in our daily cuppa. India is the land that gave birth to masala chai. We love our spices so much that the moment we go out of them we tend to get panicky. Cinnamon or dalchini, is one such spice that is used in variety of desi preparations, from curries, kadhas to biryanis. The hot winter spice is said to be loaded with many health benefits, and adding it to your coffee can do wonders for your overall health in addition to making your coffee more flavourful and robust.
Here is how adding a dash of cinnamon may benefit you.
1. Regulate blood sugar levels: Adding cinnamon to your coffee may help keep your blood sugar levels stable, provided you do not add sugar to your coffee. Cinnamon has a sweet flavour that would not let you miss sugar so much. According to the NCBI, cinnamon increases insulin sensitivity immediately after consumption.
2. Boost weight loss and prevent cravings: Cinnamon is said to be a decent appetite-suppressant. Adding it to your coffee may induce a feeling of fullness and reduce cravings. When you crave less, you will binge less.
(Also Read: Diabetes: Use Cinnamon (Dalchini) To Manage Blood Sugar Levels Naturally)
3. Your daily antioxidant fix: Coffee is very high on antioxidants like polyphenols, which are known to curb free radical activity that is responsible for impaired immunity, dull skin and ageing. Adding cinnamon to your coffee takes up the antioxidant levels of your coffee a notch higher.
4. Helps improve cognitive ability and brain power: According to a study, drinking coffee daily may help boost brain activity. There's another study that said merely smelling cinnamon could help improve your processing power. You can imagine the magic it can do if it is added to your favourite cuppa.
5. Soothe cold and fever: Warm beverages are a great way to drive away the chill. Cinnamon is packed with antiviral, antibacterial compounds that help in keeping the immunity strong. The spice is also packed with many anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve pain and discomfort caused by a flu.
(Also Read: 6 Reasons Why You Should Be Drinking Cinnamon Water Daily)
6. Good for heart: Experts claim that cinnamon lowers the risk of developing heart-related ailments and illnesses. But at the same time, do practice moderation. Too much of caffeine has been linked to some cardiovascular problems.
Making cinnamon coffee is fairly easy too. While you are brewing a cup of coffee, add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Drink this beverage and let us know how you liked it.