There are plenty of exotic ingredients that have become a rage in the world of health and nutrition due to their strong weight loss properties. A lot of these exotic ingredients quinoa, avocado and kiwi are imported from different parts of the world in such a large scale that they do not seem foreign any more. However, if you do not have an access to all these superfoods, or are unwilling to shell out so much on them, you can always rely on your desi kitchen pantry too. It is often packed with many ingredients that can do wonders to promote weight loss and cut belly fat. One common ingredient that you often use to flavour your curries, naans and pickle is garlic. Garlic (lehsun) is packed with vitamin B6 and C, fibre, manganese, and calcium. It is replete with antiviral and antibacterial compounds that help keep seasonal infections at bay. It is also good for heart, BP and blood circulation.
Benefits Of Garlic: Here's How Garlic Helps Promote Weight Loss
Garlic is known to rev up metabolism naturally. If your metabolism is faster, you are able to burn off your calories at greater speed, which implies lesser fat deposit. Lehsun is also known as an appetite suppressant. It helps curb the unnecessary cravings and keep you full for long. According to a study, published in the Journal of Nutrition, there is an association between garlic and fat-burning. The compounds in it are known to stimulate the fat-burning process. Garlic is a popular ingredient in many detox preparations too. According to the book 'Healing Foods' by DK Publishing House, garlic contains "sulfhydryl, which works by helping to remove toxic substances, such as heavy metals from the body." Many experts say that you should detox once in a while as it helps facilitate weight loss.
5 Ways You Can Have Garlic For Weight Loss
1. Have it raw first thing in the morning. Garlic's healthful properties decline as they age. Therefore, it is best to consume them fresh. In the morning, your metabolism is at its peak, therefore, it is a good time to tuck into some raw garlic and water to give it a further boost.
2. Raw garlic and honey is also a great way to burn fat. Chop up some garlic and mix it with a teaspoon of honey. Have the potion every day and see the effect yourself.
3. They serve as a delicious garnish for salads.
4. Scatter them raw over mildly cooked vegetables; they add a delicious pungent flavour to your veggies and, of course, give it a healthy makeover.
5. Sneak them in omelettes, soups and hearty winter stews.
So, what are you waiting for? Include garlic in your weight loss diet already.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.