Ayurveda is a pristine science of bringing your body, mind and soul in harmony that was born in India. In fact, it is one of the oldest forms of medical literature that has stood the test of time for more than 5000 years. This ancient healthcare system focuses on life, longevity and your overall well-being - be it physical, mental or spiritual. In his book, 'Ayurvedic Home Remdies', Dr. Vasant Lad explains. 'As a science of self-healing, Ayurveda encompasses diet and nutrition, lifestyle, exercise, rest and relaxation, meditation, breathing exercises and medicinal herbs, along with cleansing and rejuvenation programs."
Simply put, it is a holistic approach to a healthier and longer life - the kind that our ancestors lived. It is based on three key concepts which are Nidana (the diagnostic measures), Ahar (food that acts as internal medicine) and Kaya Chikitsa (body treatment). If you're new it or are still figuring it out, we've unearthed some hidden secretes of Ayurveda that can help you tread the healthy way. For all those who are looking to make a move towards a healthier lifestyle, start here.
1. For long and strong hair: According to Ayurveda, hair loss is usually caused due to the functions of the pitta dosha which governs our metabolism and digestion. Another reason could be certain hormonal imbalances that cause hair loss in men and women. The nutrients we eat support the hair follicles. To balance the pitta dosha, you should include cool and sweet foods like buttermilk, coconut oil, cinnamon and fruits such as melons, grapes and pomegranates. You may have not known this but coconut water is rich in calcium which promotes hair growth, so drink up.
2. For flawless, glowing skin: Say no to chemicals because there are several Ayurvedic herbs that can improve your skin texture naturally. Chandan or sandalwood is considered be one of the best Ayurvedic skin soothers. It has a cooling and calming effect on your skin and can be used to improve skin tone, treat acne and do away with blemishes. You can prepare a paste of one teaspoon of sandal wood powder with one teaspoon of turmeric and few drops of rose water for a quick and refreshing face mask. You should also load up on iron-rich foods like carrots, beetroot juice or pomegranate juice that act as natural blood purifiers and impart a natural glow to your skin.(7 Superfoods for Beautiful Skin)
3. For better digestion and stomach problems: Ayurveda can provide simple solutions to most of our stomach problems like gas, bloating and indigestion just by analysing what we eat and how we eat. It could be as basic as making sure you sit down and eat and your stomach needs to be in a relaxed posture to be able to function effectively. Most of the stomach problems occur when agni or your digestive fire is weak, therefore it is a good practise to ignite it before eating your meals. For this, Ayurvedic practice suggests that you consume a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger with few drops of lime and a pinch of salt. All these ingredients help in activating the salivary glands to produce the necessary digestive enzymes that helps in the digestion and absorption of the food you eat.(11 Ingenious Ways to Avoid Bloating After Eating)
4. For stronger immunity: As per Maharishi Ayurveda, when the digested food transforms into Ojas in our body it gives us strength and builds our defence mechanisms but when it creates Ama it lower's our immunity. Spices play an important role in boosting your immunity by supporting various functions. For instance, cumin burns Ama, turmeric helps in detoxification and black pepper clears the passage for Ojas to reach all cells and deep tissues.
5. For weight loss: Digestion is a very crucial concept in the Vedic tradition of Ayurveda which affects most of your body functions. To speed up your weight loss, your digestive system should be really strong and active. Ayurveda suggests that you eat your largest meal of the day at noon when the agni is at its strongest - not early morning when it sluggish and not even late at night when its slowing down. One of the easiest tips for weight loss you may have heard is sipping warm water when you wake up and also through the day. Ayurveda believes in it and you should to because there's science to support it. Drinking warm water raises your body's temperature which speeds up the metabolism. This increase in the metabolic rate allows your body to burn more calories through the day.