According to dermatologist Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj, there are no home remedies for scabies and we should aim to get rid of the mites. There are, though, some remedies which can provide relief from itches and rashes.
Let's go through some simple home remedies that can be useful to get rid of scabies symptoms:
1. NeemNeem leaves have anti-bacterial properties which is why it works wonders on infections, burns and any kind of skin problems.Neem is one medicinal tree with a multitude of benefits. A paste of neem and turmeric proves to be very helpful for scabies. Even neem oil can help provide relief.
Neem leaves have anti-bacterial properties
2. Clove Oil Studies have found that clove oil helps in getting rid of scabies because it has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. But, experts advise against using clove oil in its undiluted form. Instead, mix it with coconut oil and apply it on your skin before bathing. Do this for 2-3 weeks.(Also Read: 14 Amazing Benefits of Clove Oil)
Clove oil helps in getting rid of scabies because it has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties
3. TurmericWe've already mentioned above how turmeric makes an excellent home remedy for scabies when mixed with neem oil. Here is another way to use turmeric for relief from severe itching. Add a few drops of lemon juice to one tablespoon of turmeric and form a smooth paste before applying it. Apply the paste and leave for a little while and wash it off.(Also Read: 8 Health Benefits of Turmeric (Haldi): Getting Back to the Roots)
Turmeric is filled with anti-inflammatory properties
4. White Vinegar Mix equal amounts of white vinegar and water thoroughly in a bowl. Use a cotton ball to apply the solution on the affected skin and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat three times daily for 10 to 15 days to fight the infection completely. White vinegar has an acidic nature which helps to change the pH levels of skin and the changes in pH levels cause mites to die.
5. Aloe Vera Aloe Vera has many medicinal properties which can accelerate the healing process of scabies. Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected skin. Leave it on for half an hour and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat two or three times daily for a few days and you will begin to notice an improvement in the skin condition.(Also Read: 6 Amazing Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair, Skin and Weight-Loss)
Aloe Vera has many medicinal properties
6. BleachBleaching is an essential part of skin and beauty care regimen. Bleach helps in killing mites. Mix together one part of bleach and four parts of water and spray this solution on the affected area twice daily. Repeat the process for a few days.
7. Curd and FishCurd is loaded with several essential nutrients like calcium, vitamin B-2, vitamin B-12, potassium, and magnesium. Including curd and fish in your diet could prove to be a relief from all the itchiness and rashes.
These are a few simple and easily available home remedies that will help you reduce the itchiness and rashes associated with scabies. Dr. Deepali also suggests taking a bath twice daily with a transparent soap which contains glycerin and wearing linen clothes.Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.