1. Drink lots of waterWater helps in detoxifying the body and flushes out toxins. It is also one of the simplest ways to keep the kidneys clean. It dilutes the minerals that can cause harm and helps in their excretion. Drinking water with baking soda may help in relieving discomfort caused due to infections in the urinary tract.Drinking lime water helps in the filtration of blood. Dr. Varun Verma, Senior Consultant (Nephrology) at Fortis Hospital in Faridabad suggests that you must drink at least 2 liters of water every day. He says, “Start your day with 2 glasses of water and end your day with a glass of water. If you have stones in the kidneys, you should drink at least 3 liters of water daily”.
2. Have less salt, sugar and soy
The sodium in salt increases the calcium content in the body which has a negative effect on the kidneys. Excess calcium in the body may lead to the formation of stones. Similarly, too much sugar absorbs more calcium and magnesium which also contributes to kidney stones. Soy and soy-related products may have a high content of oxalate that can be harmful for the kidneys. According to Dr. Verma, Indian meals contain 25-30 grams of salt in our daily diet, while one shouldn't consume more than 5-10 grams.
3. Have a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar early morningApple cider vinegar is known for its antioxidant properties that fight oxidative stress and it also helps in controlling your blood pressure and sugar levels in the body.
4. Exercise regularlyAny form of exercise is good for you as it it keeps the heart healthy, burns unwanted fat and helps with the flow of blood to other organs which includes the kidneys. Dr. Deepak Kalra from the Nephrology Department at Fortis Hospital stresses on maintaining your weight, “It’s important to eat healthy, drink healthy and maintain a healthy body weight for your kidneys to be able to function well."
5. Cut caffeine Coffee has its benefits, but excess intake of caffeine can harm your health. Caffeine tends to dehydrate your body and absorb all the moisture which can lead to kidney stones.
7. Eat berries and beetsBerries are a powerful source of antioxidants which help prevent the risk of kidney diseases. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are great for your kidneys. Similarly, beetroots contain betaine which is an antioxidant that helps in the removal of calcium phosphate build-up and increases the acidity of urine. The iron, magnesium and folate present in beetroots helps in the flow of blood.