Khichdi is the epitome of comfort foods in India; a detox food that has nothing but moong dal and rice that spell comfort with every bite. Not to forget, it is known to soothe our tummy when it is upset, especially during monsoon when our immunity is weakened. An upset stomach can be caused due to food poisoning, a virus infection, irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhoea or loose motioons. You are more prone to such problems during the rainy season. Khichdi along with a dollop of ghee helps soothe your digestive tract, making it easy to digest and balance your doshas.
According to Macrobiotic Nutritionist and Health Coach Shilpa Arora, "Extremely healing for the digestive system, khichdi soothes and heals the gut. Moong lentils and rice combined together with a Vedic ghee tadka is a complete meal with all macronutrients available to the body. The healing fats in ghee and fibre in dal help balance high glycaemic load of rice. Ayurveda considers khichdi to be an optimal meal balancing all the three doshas. Add seasonal veggies to your khichdi like carrots and tomatoes for a delicious and healthy twist."
(Also Read: What Makes Khichdi The Ultimate Indian Comfort Food?)
Here's why you should eat khichdi to keep your stomach healthy:
- Moong dal khichdi is light on stomach. In Ayurveda terms, it is known as prana dal, as it is energising and possesses healing properties.
- Turmeric added in khichdi is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and a time-tested spice for healing the digestive system. A dash of turmeric is said to be beneficial for most health problems.
- Moong dal has high protein content and is known to be the lightest on stomach.
- Paired with curd, moong dal khichdi helps digest food easily; thanks to the nutrients both the foods have.
- Khichdi is a wholesome meal. Moong dal comes packed with dietary fibre, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. Freshly cooked khichdi topped with desi ghee provides the right amount of macro-nutrients, complex carbohydrates, protein and fats.
Here's a simple recipe of moong dal khichdi to soothe your tummy and stave off monsoon woes.
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal chhilke wali (split green gram)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 2 tsp salt
(Also Read: Moong Dal for Weight Loss: How Does It Help Burn Fat)
- Pick and wash the rice and the dal and soak together in water for 1/2 an hour, at least. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy based saucepan and add the cumin and hing.
- When the seeds splutter, add the rice and dal mixture, and saute over high heat, till well mixed and excess water dries up.
- Add the salt and mix well too. Add two 1/4 cups water and bring to a boil, make sure to cover with a lid.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, by which time the khichdi should be cooked and ready to serve.
Give your stomach a break from all the fried snacks and instead treat it with a simple and sattvic moong dal khichdi that will keep you healthy this monsoon.