The tradition of relishing snacks with chai is something that we all deeply relate to. No matter which part of India you're in, you'll find a wide variety of regional snacks to pair with your evening cup of chai. Whether it's the classic vada pav from Mumbai, kachori from Rajasthan or aloo bonda from Karnataka - these flavourful delights never fail to disappoint our taste buds. Speaking of Indian snacks, Murukku is one such snack that is extremely popular in South India. The name murukku derives from the Tamil word for 'twisted.' This fried lentil snack is known for its round spiral shape and crispy texture. It is perfect to munch on as a light evening snack.
While most of us prefer buying this South Indian snack from the market, it's best to make fresh murukku at home. Now you may think that making murukku from scratch requires a lot of time and effort. But what if we tell you that you can make this delicious snack at home? Here we bring you a murukku recipe that'll ensure that your murukkus turn out to be super crispy. Let's get started with the recipe.
Crispy Murukku Recipe: How To Make Crispy Murukku
- To begin with the recipe, first, cook the urad dal in a pressure cooker for about 3-4 whistles.
- Once done, transfer it to another bowl and mash the dal using a whisk.
- Now, add rice flour, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, ajwain, hing and butter. Mix everything well to make a soft dough. When adding butter, keep it warm. Adding cold or room temperature butter will not give you the desired results.
- Make medium-sized balls of the dough and fill it in the murukku press. Press it firmly to shape the dough into spiral shapes. (Make sure to cover the rest of the dough while you do so.)
- Heat oil in a pan and add the murukkus one by one to deep fry. Do not overcrowd them in the oil and fry on medium-flame to get the best results.
- Once done, drain them on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you love South Indian snacks, click here for some of our best recipes.
Try it out and let us know how it worked for you in the comments section below.