Indian street food plays a major role in defining the food culture of the country. And if you explore, you will find every street food has a fan base of its own. Take chowmein for instance. Desi-style noodles tossed with veggies, egg, chicken and spices - chowein never fails to tug at heart strings. So much so that we try and replicate it at home every now and then. But let's agree - it is quite tough to get that perfect texture of street-style chowmein. Even after following the rule book word-by-word, we often end up making the noodles starchy. Ever wondered why?! Food vlogger Parul says, the secret lies in how you boil the noodles. According to her, giving the noodles a perfect boil is of utmost importance to make perfect street-style chowmein.
This is why Parul took to her YouTube channel 'Cook With Parul' demonstrate how street-style chowmein is made; and also, she shared a few quick-tips that will help you get the desired taste and texture (of the noodles) every single time. Let's take a look:
Street-Style Chowmein Recipe: 6 Quick Tips On How To Boil Noodles:
- Add salt while boiling noodles to enhance the taste.
- Add noodles only when the water is boiled well on high flame. Adding noodles in cold water make it starchy.
- Do not boil the noodles completely - instead, keep it 75 percent boiled and rest will be done while cooking.
- Wash noodles with cold water as soon as you strain the boiling water.
- Once the water is drained, spread noodles on a tray and let it dry.
- Grease the noodles with some oil.
Now that you have the perfectly boiled noodles handy, find out how to make street-style veg chowmein.
How To Make Street-Style Veg Chowmein:
1. Finely chop the vegetables red, yellow and green bell peppers, onion, carrot, spring onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli.
2. Take a wok, heat oil on high flame and add ginger, garlic, green chilli and sauté.
3. Add chopped onions and saute. Do not cook much to keep the crunchiness of the veggies.
4. Add rest of the veggies and stir on high flame.
5. Now, add black pepper, soy sauce, red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup and mix. Add vinegar too.
6. Add the noodles, salt as per taste and toss well.
And your plate of noodles is ready to be served. Always remember, do not add salt while frying the vegetables. It takes away the crunchiness of the vegetable.
Watch the complete recipe video of street-style veg chowmein here:
Try it today and let us know if the tips worked for you. Enjoy your meal!
About Somdatta SahaExplorer- this is what Somdatta likes to call herself. Be it in terms of food, people or places, all she craves for is to know the unknown. A simple aglio olio pasta or daal-chawal and a good movie can make her day.