How to make Bhapa Chingri
About Bhapa Chingri Recipe: A traditional Bengali dish, Bhapa Chingri has marinated prawns mixed in a spicy coconut, mustard and chilli sauce. Baked to perfection, this Bengali prawn dish is perfect to prepare for guests at home. You can serve this with rice or chapati.
Ingredients of Bhapa Chingri
- 6 Nos prawns, medium
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 + 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp white mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- red chilli powder (as per taste)
- 5-6 Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil
How to Make Bhapa Chingri
- 1.Clean the prawns very well, wash and keep them aside. Now marinate the prawns with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and set aside for 15 minutes.
- 2.In the meantime, take a small spice grinder and make a smooth paste with mustard seeds, poppy seeds, 2-3 green chilies, some water and little salt (salt & chilies to remove the bitterness of the mustard seeds).
- 3.Pour the paste in a bowl; add grated coconut, sugar, salt (if necessary), red chili powder and green chilies. Add the marinated prawns in the mixture and keep aside for another 15 minutes.
- 4.Now preheat the oven to 175 C temperature.
- 5.Take an ovenproof baking bowl, apply some mustard oil inside the bowl, pour the prawn mixture into the bowl.
- 6.Cover the bowl with an aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, or till the prawns are cooked and changes color to orange.
- 7.Turn off the oven and remove the bowl from the oven but do not open the foil. Remove the foil just before serving.
Key Ingredients: prawns, turmeric powder, salt, white mustard seeds, poppy seeds, coconut, red chilli powder (as per taste), Green chillies, sugar, mustard oil