Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
How to make Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry Salad
Whole wheat grains cooked with vegetables, walnuts, Mexican chipotle and lots of herbs.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings8
Ingredients of Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry Salad
- 2 Cups Soft wheat berries (rinsed) (whole wheat grains)
- Kosher Salt
- 3 tbsp Olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 medium Yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Carrots (small diced)
- 1 tsp Fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Chipotle (en adobo plus 1 teaspoon chipotle en adobo sauce), chopped
- 1 cup Walnut halves (toasted)
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Honey
- 3 Scallions (light green and green parts thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Italian parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
How to Make Chipotle and Toasted Walnut Wheat Berry SaladHideShow Media
Fill a medium saucepan with heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Stir in wheat berries, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until tender but still chewy, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Drain and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet to cool. (Can be made through this step up to 4 days ahead. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.)
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
Add carrots and a pinch of salt and cook until just softened but still retains some bite, about 5 minutes more.
Stir in thyme and chipotle and sauce and cook until fragrant then remove from heat.
Place wheat berries in a large, nonreactive bowl and add carrot mixture, nuts, and raisins.
Whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, vinegar, and honey until honey is dissolved then stir into wheat berry mixture.
Let salad marinate at least 15 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours.
Just before serving, add the scallions and herbs.