About Matra Recipe: Light and zingy matra served with warm kulchas and generous amounts of lemon juice. Replicate this popular street food at home.
- Total Cook Time 40 mins
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time 25 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Matra
- 2 cups yellow peas (Matra/vatana) soaked with 2 tsp salt for 4-6 hours
- 1 Tbsp clarified butter (Ghee)
- 2 Tbsp ginger, finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp powdered black pepper
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin (Jeera) roasted and powdered
- 2 Tbsp dried mango powder
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Ginger juliennes, to garnish
- Chaat masala, to garnish
How to Make MatraHideShow Media
Soak the matra with 2 tsp salt for 4-6 hours.
Drain the peas and place in a pressure cooker. Cover with water about 2" above the peas.
Add the clarified butter, salt and finely shredded ginger and seal the pressure cooker. Cook for 15 minutes after the hissing sound starts. (If cooking in an ordinary pan it should take about an hour and more water will have to be added).
Check if cooked through. Adjust the water to make like a thick gravy or thinner.
Add the black pepper, cardamom, coriander powder, mango powder and cook some more till well blended.
Add lemon juice, garnishe with coriander leaves and ginger.
Serve hot with kulchas.