How to make Methi Chaman
An authentic Kashmiri recipe. Cottage cheese chunks are deep fried, soaked in milk and tossed with fenugreek leaves, cinnamon and almonds.
Ingredients of Methi Chaman
- 1 kg paneer
- 1 bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 6 green cardamom
- 6 cloves
- 4 cm long cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- A pinch of asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste - approx 1 tsp
- 10 almond kernels-to garnish
- 2 tsp sultana-to garnish
How to Make Methi Chaman
- 1.Cut the paneer into small cubes.
- 2.Heat oil and deep fry for a short time till it is golden brown.
- 3.Soak them in milk to keep them soft.
- 4.Chop the fenugreek leaves finely and wash them in water to remove the dirt.
- 5.Stand to remove the excess water. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil and season with asafoetida.
- 6.Add fenugreek leaves and keep frying till aroma rises. Add the rest of the spices.
- 7.Keep stirring till the oil starts to release. Add the paneer cubes and milk. Bring it to boil.
- 8.Reduce heat and simmer till the gravy thickens. Garnish with almond and sultana.
- 9.Serve hot.
Key Ingredients: 1 kg paneer, 1 bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves, 2 tsp ground fennel, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 6 green cardamom, 6 cloves, 4 cm long cinnamon stick, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 cup milk, A pinch of asafoetida powder, Salt to taste - approx 1 tsp, 10 almond kernels-to garnish, 2 tsp sultana-to garnish, Oil