How to make Moong dal Khichdi
Split green gram and rice come together beautifully in this traditional recipe. A perfect one-dish meal, easy to prepare with all the essential nutrients and surprisingly light thus considered to be a comfort food, particularly in eastern and northern India. With just a few ingredients and spices you are ready to have a delicious quick meal.
Ingredients of Moong Dal ki Khichdi
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Moong dal chhilke wali (split green gram)
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- A pinch of Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1 Tbsp Dhania, powdered
- 2 tsp Salt
How to Make Moong Dal ki Khichdi
- 1.Pick and wash the rice and the dal, and soak together in water for 1/2 an hour, at least. Drain and keep aside.
- 2.Heat the ghee in a heavy based saucepan and add the cumin and heeng.
- 3.When the seeds splutter, add the rice and dal mixture, and saute over high heat, till well mixed and excess water dries up.
- 4.Add the dhania powder and the salt and mix well too. Add 2 1/4 cups water, and bring to a boil, covered.
- 5.Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, by which time the khichdi should be cooked, and ready to serve.
Calories: 645.7 0Phosphorous: 373.7 MgSodium: 2341.7 MgPotassium: 632.7 Mg
You can make this spicier, by adding some more ground spices like garam masala and chilli powder. The lentils used can vary according to taste. You can make the consistency thinner by adding more water.
Moong dal khichdi is best enjoyed with a generous amount of ghee topping along with raita/ curd, pickle, chopped onions or papad on the side.
Key Ingredients: Rice
, Moong dal chhilke wali (split green gram), Ghee, Cumin seeds, Heeng (Asafoetida), Dhania, Salt