Naat Yakkhn (Yogurt Lamb) Recipe
A yogurt based lamb curry that hails from the beautiful state of Kashmir. A hearty and delicious curry with ghee in abundance and mawal flowers. Goes best with steamed rice.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 25 mins
- Prep Time 25 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Naat Yakkhn (Yogurt Lamb)
- 700 gm assorted lamb-cut into large pieces
- 2 1/2 liters water
- 1 1/4 tsp ground garlic
- Salt to taste
- 8 green cardamoms
- 4 black cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp onion paste-fried
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder-dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup desi ghee
- 1/2 cup dry cockscomb (mawal) flowers-heated with 1/2 cup water; extract
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp dry mint leaves
How to Make Naat Yakkhn (Yogurt Lamb)HideShow Media
Bring the water to a boil in a deep pan.
Add the lamb and remove the scum that rises to the surface.
When the water is clear, add the garlic and continue to boil for 4-5 minutes.
Add the salt and cook until the lamb is half done.
Add the green and black cardamoms, cloves, turmeric powder, ginger powder, onion paste, yogurt, red chilli water and ghee.
Mix well, reduce heat and cook covered until the lamb is tender.
Add the cockscomb flower extract and black cumin seeds.
Mix well and sprinkle dry mint leaves.