How to make Patishapta with Strawberry Coulis
A different take on the Pithe Patishapta, specially made for the occasion of Makar Sankranti. All over India freshly harvested 'dhan' from which rice is husked out is used to make savouries or sweets on this day. In Bengal they mix it together with coconut the quintessential ingredient in making sweets laced with season’s fresh Gur or Jaggery, known as “Pithe-Puli."
Ingredients of Patishapta with Strawberry Coulis
- For Patishapta:
- 1 Cup Refined flour (Maida)
- 1/2 Cup Semolina (Sooji)
- 1/4 Cup Rice flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- As required Water
- For frying Oil
- 1 Cup Coconut, grated
- 3 Tbsp Condensed milk/Rabdi
- 1/2 tsp Green cardamom
- A pinch of Salt
- For Strawberry Coulis:
- 5 1/2 Cups Strawberries (fresh/frozen)
- 3/4 Cup Plain white sugar (graulated)
- 1/2 Cup Water
How to Make Patishapta with Strawberry Coulis
- Prepare Patishapta:
- 1.In a bowl, mix the grated coconut with Rabri / condensed milk. Then, add in the Elaichi powder.
- 2.Keep stirring the mixture till it has become nice and binds. Keep in refrigerator to cool.
- 3.Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the rice powder and maida with a pinch of salt and water. Mix carefully till all lumps have dissolved.
- 4.Heat a non-stick frying pan. Sprinkle some oil on it and spread out the flour mixture to make a full circle. Allow the mixture to fry and swell up a bit. Keep frying till its colour has changed to light brown.
- 5.Let the pancake cool and place the freshly-prepared Patishapta Pitha filling at the centre of the circle and roll it up.
- 6.Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- 7.Cut corners and make small peices of the roll to place on a platter.
- Prepare Strawberry Coulis:
- 1.Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, and bring the mix to a boil.
- 2.Once it is boiling and the sugar has been dissolved into the liquid, turn off the heat, and transfer the mixture to a blender.
- 3.Blend until it is very smooth, and then pass the sauce through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds. (The straining step is not strictly necessary, and it won’t make things taste any better, but I think the sauce is more enjoyable when it doesn’t leave you with strawberry seeds to pick out of your teeth!)
- 4.Pour Strawberry Coulis on top and pop the rest into the freezer to be used as needed. Garnish the deal with a sprig of mint.
- 5.Store in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for months.
Key Ingredients: Refined flour (Maida), Semolina (Sooji), Rice flour, Sugar, Milk, Water, Oil, Coconut, Condensed milk/Rabdi, Green cardamom, Salt, Strawberries (fresh/frozen), Plain white sugar (graulated), Water