5 Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff
IANS | Updated: July 12, 2017 15:13 IST
Dry skin, yeast infection, unhealthy diet, or any other skin-related ailments, dandruff is caused due to several reasons but the tricky part is that it can be incredibly difficult to treat. To do away with the white flakes, here are some effective home remedies. Manoj Khanna, owner of Enhance Clinic, shares some common ingredients and substances you use at home that can save the day.
1. Baking soda: Wet your hair and then rub a handful of baking soda, massaging it into the scalp. Rinse thoroughly, using a mild shampoo. Baking soda will counter the growth of overactive fungi and leave you with a cleaner mane.
2. Aspirin: What makes this work? A special substance called salicylic acid that also forms an essential ingredient in a host of medicated anti-dandruff shampoos. For freedom from dandruff, crush two aspirin tablets to a fine powder and add it your shampoo. Apply this solution and leave it for a minute or two and then rinse thoroughly.
3. Mouthwash: Surprised? Don't be because it really works. Try mouthwash for that dash of freshness and much needed respite from dandruff. First, wash your hair with regular shampoo and then give it a final rinse with an alcohol-based mouthwash. Its anti-fungal properties will inhibit the growth of dandruff-producing yeast and leave you with shiny hair. Don’t forget to use a conditioner.
4. Salt: The abrasive quality of salt can work wonders. Just sprinkle some salt directly on to your scalp. Then, massage it using circular motions like you would with a scrub. This will cleanse the scalp and leave it spic and span, ready to be shampooed as usual.
5. Garlic: Barring the pungent smell, this is one of the best ways to beat dandruff. Its potent anti-fungal properties can fight dandruff like nothing else. To cut the odour, you can mix crushed garlic with honey. Apply this paste liberally on to the scalp before shampooing.
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.