Recipe of Arhar ki Dal
Recipe Servings: 4
The classic yellow lentils, simple yet intense.
- 1 cup yellow lentils
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp ginger-chopped finely
- 2-3 pieces of raw mango or amchoor powder
For the Tadka:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp chopped green chillies
How to Make Arhar ki Dal
- Boil dal in about 4 cups of water, along with turmeric, salt, sugar and ginger.
- Cook till tender and well blended.
- Add amchoor and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
- Heat the clarified butter in a heavy-based pan; add the asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When they begin to splutter, add dal mixture, bring to a boil and leave to simmer for about 1 minute.
- Garnish with green chillies, serve hot.