Recipe of Gajar ki Kanji
Kanji is a nutritious and healthy Indian drink. Left to mature after cooking to bring out the flavours.
- 250 gm carrots-preferably the dark variety (called kaali gajar)
- 6 cups water
- 3 Tbsp powdered mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp salt
How to Make Gajar ki Kanji
- Peel the carrots, and cut them into 7cm/3" pieces, not too thin (about finger size, you can say).
- Boil the water and add the carrots to it.
- When the water comes to a boil again, shut off the heat and leave to cool.
- Add the salt and the mustard powder, and transfer into a jar with a lid, and keep this in the sun, to mature.
- In sunny weather, it takes 3-4 days, for the taste of the mustard to become strong.
- Do not keep the jar in the sun, after it is ready.