Kalan Kerala Curry Recipe
Kalan is a traditional Kerala dish made during Onam Sadhya. It is a curry dish prepared using buttermilk, mustard seeds, coconut and raw bananas.
Ingredients of Kalan Kerala Curry
- 3 cup thick butter milk
- 2 cups yam and raw bananas- cut into thin slices
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp powdered fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 cup grated coconut- grind with 2 green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
How to Make Kalan Kerala Curry
- Cook yam and bananas in butter milk with turmeric powder till they get soft.
- Add salt, grated paste of coconut to it and cook for few minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to this along with the black pepper and fenugreek seeds. Mix well.
- The dish is ready to serve. Garnish with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Key Ingredients: Yam
, Green Chillies
, Curry Leaves
, Fenugreek Seeds
, Black Pepper
, Coconut Oil
, Mustard Seeds