Litti is a popular snack of Bihar made with sattu. This version is filled with spices and baked.
- Oven temp: 400 F- 200 C
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 tsp salt cold water to mix oil for deep-frying
For the filling:
- 1 cup sattu (powdered roasted gram)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 Tbsp powdered fennel seeds
- 2 tsp powdered coriander seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered amchoor (dried mango powder)
- Mix the filling ingredients together and keep aside.
Make the dough:
- Mix in the flour, salt, ghee and enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Cover and leave to rest for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Make about 20 smooth balls from the dough.
- Roll into 1/4" thick rounds.
- Pinch edge all around and wet.
- Place a ball of the filling in the center, and bring the wet edges together, covering the filling completely.
- Press together to seal. Roll between palms to smoothen.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature and bake another 20-25 minutes, till brown and cooked through.
- Note: You can serve these hot with ghee poured on top.
Key Ingredients: Flour
, Clarified Butter
, Cumin Seeds
, Fennel Seeds, Coriander Seeds
, whole wheat flour
, vegetable oil
, garam masala
, red chilli
, raw mango powder