Recipe Servings: 2
An everyday dish of cottage cheese and peas mingled in a tomato gravy.
- 2 cups cubed (500 gm) paneer - deep fried to a light brown
- 2 cups shelled green peas
- 3-4 green chillies-slit a little
- For the Gravy:
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tsp peeled cloves of garlic-ground with onions
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup tomato-grated or 1/4 cup puree
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp powdered red pepper
- 1 Tbsp powdered coriander (dhania) seeds
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil and add the cumin seeds and the bay leaves.
- Add onion paste and saute till brown and fat separates.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt, garam masala, red pepper and the coriander powder, and stir-fry till fat separates.
- Add the peas, paneer and the green chillies and saute over high heat till glossy.
- Add two cups water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves. Omit the chillies if you so desire.
Key Ingredients: Cottage Cheese
, green peas
, green chillies
, coriander leaves
, garam masala
, bay leaf
, cumin seeds
, vegetable oil
, red chilli
, coriander seeds