Recipe Servings: 2
Low on carbs and healthy idlis made with oats and grated carrots. Ideal for those who are calorie conscious.
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 liter curd (slightly sour)
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp urad dal
- 1/2 Tbsp channa dal
- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp salt
- Eno fruit salt, a pinch
- On a tawa, dry roast the oats until it turns slightly brown and then powder the oats in a mixer.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and allow the mustard to splutter and the dals to turn golden.
- To this, add the chopped chillies, coriander and grated carrots.
- Add the turmeric powder and fry for a minute.
- Add this seasoning to the powdered oats mixture and add the curd to it to make a batter like that of idli batter's consistency.
- You can add as much curd to the mixture to achieve the consistency, but do not add water to the batter.
- Grease the idli steamer plates with oil and pour the batter into each area of the steamer.
- Steam the idlis for 15 minutes.
- Note: To know if the idli is cooked, poke an idli with knife and check if the batter does not stick to the knife.
- Once done remove the idlis and serve with Onion chutney.
Ramya Parameswaran, winner of the Guilt Free contest: Week 1.