Rajasthani Laal Maas
Recipe Servings: 4
Laal maas is a fiery Rajasthani meat curry. Lamb cooked in a variety of masalas with a burst of red chillies.
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 18-20 red chillies
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, whole
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 cup mustard oil
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
- A small piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 kg lamb, cut into pieces with bones
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 small cup kachri powder (kachri is a dried vegetable, a variety of cucumbers found in Rajasthan and ground into a powder)
- 3-4 pods cardamom
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A little bit of mace
- 1 pod black cardamom
- A handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Dry roast the red chillies to give it a nice distinctive aroma which adds great flavor to the dish.
- Add to that the coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once done, grind it into a nice fine powder.
- Heat some mustard oil in a pan. Add to this the garlic and ginger.
- Once the garlic turns slightly brown add the lamb pieces.
- Give it a good mix. This is also a good time to add salt.
- Now add the kachri powder. Not only does this powder tenderize the meat, its also adds a nice tangy flavor to it.
- Now add the chopped onions and mix all well.
- Once the onions have roasted well add the whole spices, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, mace, black cardamom. Give all a good stir.
- Now add the red chilly powder and let it roast for about a minute.
- Now add enough water to cook the lamb. Cover it and let it simmer for a couple of minutes till the meat is cooked.
- Once the meat is cooked, take out all the pieces on a platter and strain the gravy.
- Straining the gravy gets rid of all the whole spices and keeps the essence and flavors intact.
- Now add the lamb pieces you had taken out to the refined gravy and put it back on fire but on low heat.
- Add about 1/2 cup water and some coriander leaves.
- Let it simmer for a while and when you reach a good consistency of gravy, turn off the heat.
- Serve hot.
Key Ingredients: onion
, green chillies
, lamb meat
, red chilli
, coriander seeds
, cumin seeds
, green cardamom
, black pepper
, mustard oil
, black cardamom
, coriander leaves