A tangy mixture used in the preparation of the popular South Indian Sambhar.
- 2 cups whole red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups coriander seeds (dhania)
- 2 Tbsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 3 Tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 tsp pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
- 2 Tbsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 Tbsp husked split black gram (dhuli urad dal)
- 2 Tbsp bengal gram (channa dal)
- 2 Tbsp yellow lentils (arhar dal)
- 2 Tbsp rice
- 2 Tbsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 2 Tbsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 cup dried curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Roast all the ingredients, except the turmeric powder, till very slightly colored.
- Remove from the heat and cool, and grind to a powder and mix in the turmeric powder.
- Store this masala in an airtight jar.
Key Ingredients: pimiento
, Coriander Seeds
, Mustard seeds
, Cumin Seeds
, Black Pepper
, Fenugreek Seeds
, Husked Black Gram
, Bengal Gram (Split)
, Pigeon Pea
, Curry Leaves