Vratwala Chawal Dhokla
Recipe Servings: 4
A fermented dhokla made with samwat chaawal (Special rice used during the festival of Navaratri). Tempered with whole red chillies, cumin, ghee and curry leaves.
- 3/4 cup samwat ke chawal
- 1 cup sour yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Green chillies paste to taste
- 1 tsp sendha namak (rock salt)
- 2 tsp oil/ghee
- 2 whole dry red peppers
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Grated coconut and fresh coriander for garnish
- Roast the rice in a pan very lightly and do not let it brown.
- Prepare the batter by mixing rice, rock salt, chilli paste, ginger paste and yoghurt. Leave the mixture to ferment overnight. Should become a bit spongy.
- Grease a tin with little ghee and transfer the batter into it.
- Place the tin into the steamer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Test if it is done and then let it cool.
To make seasoning:
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin, red pepper and curry leaves. Now pour it over the dhokla.
- Cut the dhokla into serving pieces and serve garnished with the coriander and coconut.
Key Ingredients: desiccated coconut
, coriander leaves
, cumin seeds
, rock salt
, green chillies
, barnyard millet
, clarified butter
, curry leaves