It may not always be right to eat what we feel like! The first thing we eat in the morning sets forth the course of the day. Certain foods may wreak havoc with your gut if eaten on an empty stomach. We asked Consultant Nutritionist Rupali Datta to help us out here and suggest foods or drinks that we should avoid having on an empty stomach. She also advises that you should give your digestive system some time to start functioning after long hours of sleep and should eat breakfast at least two hours after you wake up. Up ahead, seven foods that may not do good to you if had on an empty stomach.1. Spicy Food Eating spices and chillies on an empty stomach may irritate the stomach lining which can lead to acidic reactions and cramps. They are pungent in nature and can trigger indigestion.
2. Sugary foods or drinksThough majority of us are under the impression that it is healthy to have a glass of fruit juice to start your day, it may not be the case. Dr. Rupali suggests not to start your day with a tall glass of fruit juice as it may put an extra load on the pancreas that are still waking up after long hours of rest. With the stomach being empty, sugar in the form of fructose in fruits can cause an overload on your liver. Processed sugar is even worse, so avoid breakfast desserts or overly sweet smoothies.
Aerated drinks are bad for our health no matter what time of the day it may be, but they are even worse when consumed on an empty stomach as the carbonated acids mix with the stomach acids causing various health issues like nausea and gas. Your stomach excretes acid to help in the digestion of your food, and if there's no food in your tummy, you're just introducing additional acid into your digestive system which might lead to stomach cramps or pain.
3. Aerated drinks
4. Cold beveragesYou must have heard that it is best to start the day with warm water and honey, yet many of us give into the temptation of chugging a glass of iced coffee instead. Drinking iced beverages on an empty stomach may damage your mucous membrane and make your digestion sluggish through the day whereas lukewarm beverages help kick starting your system and your metabolism.
5. Citrus fruitsFruits are always very healthy if they are eaten at the right time. Eating citrus fruits on an empty stomach may increase acid production. Moreover, too much fiber and fructose in fruits can also make slow down your digestive system if eaten on an empty stomach. You should especially avoid eating fruits with tough fibers like guava and oranges early morning.
6. Raw vegetablesThis one is specially for those who are diet conscious and believe that salads are great anytime of the day. Raw vegetables or a salad may not be the best thing to eat on an empty stomach. They are full of coarse fiber which may put an extra load on an empty stomach. They can also cause flatulence and abdominal pain when eaten on an empty stomach.
7. CoffeeStarting the day with a cup of coffee is a very common practice. It seems to be an easy way of breaking from sleep, but drinking coffee on an empty stomach may lead to acidity. It stimulates the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the digestive system which cause gastritis in some people.
About Rupali DattaRupali Datta is a Clinical Nutritionist and has worked in leading corporate hospitals. She has created and lead teams of professionals to deliver clinical solutions for patients across all medical specialties including critical care. She is a member of the Indian Dietetic Association and Indian Association of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition.